Home..........About..........Online Shop..........Etsy Shop..........Folksy Shop..........Newsletter....

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Artist Interview - Reclaim2Fame

Whilst collecting photos for a feature on my other blog For the Love of Cute, I stumbled across a store that made me chuckle. The more I looked through Wills store Reclaim2Fame the more the chuckle became a giggle, which multiplied until I was laughing out loud. I love Wills creations, their fun names and his wonderful descriptions. I had to know more about Will and his art, his interview makes me smile as much as his shop does.

PROFESSOR PORTLY
The Endlessly Curious Seeker Of Wisdom And Truth

Tell us a bit about yourself (name, location etc.)
William Wagenaar [call me Will]
Port Richey, Florida USA

Other than crafting what else do you do?
I am a student of Metaphysics and the creative process [perhaps they are the same thing]
I ride my bicycle and garden.

Have you always been an artist?
Always, I suspect in other lives as well but have no proof of that.

BELLE dress form sculpture

Tell us a bit about your creative process
I listen to the thoughts that precede the making of things.
Those thoughts often lead me to the objects needed to create something.
Nothing has ever fallen from the sky, still, 'miracles' have happened.
If I choose not to listen, my process becomes more difficult because I have not collected all that I need.
The collection process [salvaging and scavenging] takes a good deal of time and commitment.
If I force this process, it's a waste of time and money.
When I have it in my hands, I know that I need it. It is only a matter of time till I know why I need it.
But with one more piece of the puzzle, the image becomes more clear.

I try to see things anew, that takes practice. Sometimes I turn them upside down or sideways.
Turning things upside down in a thrift store or at the flea market can get strange looks and sometimes, well intended yet unhelpful corrections.
I have in my hands a nuclear ray gun. I stare at it in awe of its power and possibilities...
and then a kind voice will inform me: "it's a bicycle pump". "Oh, of course, Thanks"

Once I feel that I have most of what I need, I play and try not to limit my possibilities.
If I can get two or three pieces of anything to make sense together, the rest of the project usually unfolds easily.
It is about getting that first spark. Placing enough things together in different positions and things start to click.
If there is no click or spark, I put them down. They are not the right things or it is not the right day for those things.

POPS
The High Mileage / Low Maintenance Geriatric Steampunk Robot


I often ask a thing what it can be or wants to be... yes, I do! It is a playful technique.
The molecules of all matter spin at a high rate of speed, there is no such thing as an inanimate object.
An extraordinary intelligence holds it together, why would I not talk to that intelligence?
Then I listen for an answer, sometimes the answer is immediate, sometimes not.

Are you self taught?
I have a degree in commercial interior design from Harrington Institute in Chicago.
It was an excellent program, I was a voracious student.
Nature has also been my teacher. The laws of its beauty can be observed and applied.

Which of your creations is your favourite?
Sparky changed my life forever, I won't go backwards.

SPARKY
The Seriously Paranoid Robot


Where can we find you online?
My shop, Flickr page and a few dozen blogs. Just Google me.

If you would like to be considered for Featured Artist, please leave a comment under this post and tell me which Wills's creations of you love the most!

11 comments:

  1. I love robots and art from found objects! Great artist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Will's creations! Someday I'll have to get one of them for myself...

    And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who talks to objects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. really great feature! really like his creative way of presenting cute creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO cool! I love those sculptures, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting artist! My favorite is the Mannequin 22 - it is so different from the others in it's shiny finish, and the pose of it has "attitude". I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cool feature!

    I featured you in my Sunday Special feature on my blog! I hope you like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those robots are awesome - they sorta remind me of the ones from Robots (the movie). Which just makes them even more awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love these! Especially Swizzle and Maurice - oooh la la!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I discovered his shop a while back, and loved it!! So nice to find out about the person behind these wonderful creations!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts