Home..........About..........Online Shop..........Etsy Shop..........Folksy Shop..........Newsletter....

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Artist Interview - Chiara from Milk

I want to introduce you all to some amazing art I found last week. I discovered Chiara's breathtaking illustrations and after looking through her beautiful myspace page I found myself wanting to know more about her and her work. She inspired me to ask her to do an interview for my blog. I hope you will enjoy learning more about her too.

Tell us a bit about yourself
Chiara Bautista, Mexican, petite.

Other than creating art, what else do you do?
I'm a graphic designer & illustrator. I work for a daily newspaper in Tucson, Arizona. it's just like love: beautiful and stressful job.

Have you always been an artist?
To be honest, I don't think of myself as an artist, "illustrator" fits me better... but yes, I've always liked to draw and paint, since I was a little girl.


Tell us a bit about your creative process.
I always start with something I need to say, usually a feeling I can't put into words, and that's why I have to use images. I never sketch a final version of an illustration because I always end changing almost everything. My work process is messy and I go back and forth, changing stuff constantly while I'm working. It's like... when you're writing an email to an ex-boyfriend, and you have to go back and read again that last paragraph, and after reading it a couple of times you change something here and there because you don't want him to misunderstand your words. Yes, it's just like that.
My [messy] work process includes: pencil & paper, a basic sketch of the main layer, scanner, computer, a vector program (Freehand Mx/Adobe Illustrator), and Adobe Photoshop.

Music appears to be play a very important roll in your art, do you listen to music while you work? What other influences does music have on your creative process?
I always listen to music while I'm working. I love music. I include songs in my illustrations because we tend to attach experiences to the song that was playing at the moment, you listen to a song and somehow the melody brings back a lot of memories & feelings. That's why I can't listen to certain songs anymore, and some others are playing in a loop on my stereo.


There is always so much to see in each of your pieces and yet they never seem cluttered. Is it a concious effort to get this balance each time?
mmm... I wouldn't know... but I can say that I like balance... I guess that's why I'm always moving stuff around while I'm working.

Are any of your illustrations for sale? If yes, where can we buy them?
At the moment I don't have any prints or originals left for sale, but I'll have some more soon and I'll be selling them through my website www.logyumilk.com

Where can we find you online?
...for sentimental reasons, I only post my images on my myspace page.

If you would like to be considered for Featured Artist, please leave a comment under this post and tell me which of Chiara's illustrations you love the most!

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful illustrations! Very talented artist. Thank you Anna for you shared this great art with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed a great artist, thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing work! thanks for the introduction to Chiara's fabulous illustrations, Anna :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is very talented and that style of illustration is totally hip. I'm just not into the style so it's hard for me to say which illustrations I like best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work! Funny that you are introducing me to someone who lives in my area-Phx. AZ! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. My favorite is the two birds. I instantly wanted it in my house, or on a T shirt or anything else. Thank you for the introduction. She should start an Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her works are indeed great works! Wow! I love them as they reflect so much personality and how music creates such beautiful movements in her works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So original and beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly fantabulous! I'm officialy obsessed with this artist who claims to be nothing more than an illustrator! My favorite is the one with the girl pulling out her busted cassette heart, it's beautiful! Thanks for the intro! d-_-b

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anna, thanks for showing these illustrations. I loved looking at her myspace page! My favorite is the second one down, with the pink flowers at the top and cool patterned texture in the tree. Oh, and the girl's hooved feet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for introducing artists thru your blog, this gives more people a chance to see a bigger variety of art work.
    www.natures-decor.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful work. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. My head just exploded looking at these and trying to decide which is my favourite! I think I love the 'just love u' one with the man gripping the octopus girl. So amazing! Great interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Came accross Chiara's illustration almost three years ago on Myspace. Instantly put in a friend request. The emotion she captures in her work is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts