Home..........About..........Online Shop..........Etsy Shop..........Folksy Shop..........Newsletter....

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Woops, I did it again...

Having just blogged about how my mind is left brained, one of the questions to determine this was "do you tend to: 1) keep things in their place 2) lose things” - guess which one I chose?


Yes, I lose things, all the time. Having lived my whole life with this ability to misplace stuff simply by walking from one room into another, I have learned to take it as one of my quirks and try to avoid getting upset when it happens. This is simple enough when all I have lost is a pen or a CD. However, my knack for mislaying random items is not confined to everyday it’ll-turn-up-eventually or I-don’t-need-to-worry- about-it-right-now things.

No, yesterday I discovered the loss of something rather important, in fact something exceedingly important; vital paperwork. In this situation it is almost impossible to keep my head because I know how highly developed this talent of causing things to vanish can be. As soon as this vital paperwork was requested, I got that sinking feeling… I know I have seen it somewhere, but even at that moment I could almost guarantee that where I saw it was not where it should have been.

My untidiness has spread throughout our house… There are piles of paperwork and boxes of random things that should be put away, stacked high in unlikely places all over the place. You know those TV shows of people who have horded every little piece of junk they ever laid hands on? Well my place isn’t that bad! But it feels like I am facing those mountains of trash now that I have to start a systematic search for one small, leather covered piece of paperwork.

Even now as I write this, vowing to myself to always put things away immediately, I know it will not stick. Many times in the past I have seen the error of my untidy ways, each time I have vowed to put a stop to it. And yet for some reason the piles of paperwork and random things that belong in a different part of the house always return. And then, a few months from now, I will need another important item – probably with only an hour to find it – and I will be tearing my dreads out and yelling at myself again…

Being dyslexic I have always known that it is organize my life or watch it fall apart. Organization is a dyslexics’ savior (well, that and spell-check). Yet for a dyslexic, left brained person, organization is one of the hardest things to do. It is like asking a right handed person to write with their left hand, we don’t like it, our mind resists it, and it will never come easily…

2 comments:

  1. Could be me you are writing about...
    without my hubby I would be lost, he is the right half of my brain :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! for right brain hubby here also :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts