Home..........About..........Online Shop..........Etsy Shop..........Folksy Shop..........Newsletter....

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

How to get the Etsy sales you want

Improve your shop and learn to promote it. Every bit of information you need is already out there, and most of it is right there on Etsy!

IMPROVE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS: This is - I think - the most important part (which is why it is at the top and has the most links).
How to use a Lightbox and photo editing software to make beautiful photographs
Achieving Clarity and Crispness in Your Photos
How to Style Your Photos
Photographing for Success
Photograph Your Way to The Top!
Make Your Photos Pop with Histograms and Levels
Using EV and White Balance to Make Your Photos True to Life

FIND A MENTOR - a mentor can help you with the personal disputes you cannot ask about in the forums because of the "calling out" rules. They can also give you great advice from experience on ways to improve your shop and get more out of Etsy. The new Team Etsy Mentors list includes detailed information on the specific areas of expertise our members have, so you can quickly find the right mentor to help you.

LEARN TO PRICE YOUR WORK CORRECTLY! If you underprice your work viewers will undervalue your creations and be put off just as much as they will be by an overinflated price.
The Art of Pricing

WRITE GOOD DESCRIPTIONS! Help the buyer connect with your work
Making the most of your descriptions

WRITE CLEAR CONCISE POLICIES for your shop that make the customer clear on what they can expect from you.
Hello Policy!

WRITE A PROFILE that sparks interest in your store! Help your customers get to know you.
Crafting a profile page

LEARN TO TAG EFFECTIVELY! Tagging is how your buyers (and treasury curators) find you! Remember to tag for colors too as those are the most common tags curators use when looking for treasury listings.
Tagging on Etsy
International Tagging

PROMOTE YOUR SHOP! If no one knows you are there then they can’t see your beautiful creations. Learn to shout about what you do.
Pimp Your Shop
The Ultimate Craft Guide

STAY POSITIVE! Maintain a positive, friendly & helpful attitude in the forums -- a cheerful face is more likely to be remembered and added to treasuries than a grumpy one! Negative attitude in the forums affects the way people view you and your shop. Branding is not just about a logo, it is about everything you do in connection with your store. Many visitors to the forums actively avoid aggressive, whiny or rude members and their stores.

JOIN A TEAM! Teams help to promote their members and are also a great resource for honest advice about your shop. Teams often make treasuries featuring their own members. Take the time to be part of a supportive community!
Etsy Teams

BE UNIQUE! Find a way to make your product different from your competitors. Even if you are selling the same thing as 1,000 other people, you can still find a way to stand out from the crowd.
Book: Purple Cow: Transform your business by being remarkable
Blog: Make a great product

CONTINUALLY RE-EVALUATE YOUR STORE! Even if things are going well, there is always something that can be improved.
An outline to self critique your shop

SIT IN ON A WEEKLY CRITIQUE! Even if you don't get critiqued you can learn a lot just from sitting in, watching and listening. Check the virtual labs schedule to see when the next ones will be.
Virtual Labs Schedule

READ THE NEWBIE GUIDES – even if you are not a newbie! They are full of useful links and tips.
The Ultimate Newbie Guide
A Beginner's Guide to Starting a Shop on Etsy

OTHER GREAT RESOURCES:

Ultimate Craft Guide - tutorials, advice, suppliers....

Storque how tos

How to make it to the front page

TIPS FROM OTHER ETSIANS:

jealousydesign.etsy.com says:
"When I relist something I change the #1 picture. have noticed that some items that had almost no hearts or views before can get much more after this little change....."

nyblaque.etsy.com says:
"I always change up my "Featured Item" photo in my shop every other day. To keep things looking fresh on Etsy and on my Etsy Mini, I have my Etsy Mini on facebook, myspace blogspot..etc. I usually, change them and/or make a theme out of them.. like all necklaces, or one color, brand new listings, etc.... kinda makes a person go" oo I didn't see those on her mini last time". I just got a sale yesterday from a buyers who told me she reads my blog and saw my new items in my Etsy Mini!! COOL:)"

37 comments:

  1. This is a very useful compilation Mouse!
    Thank you for sharing!

    nanouke

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great! and thanks for using my comment.

    I have an Award for you over here :
    http://jealousydesign.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-love-your-blog-award.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very useful list.
    One day I'll succeed to make decent photo's...one day =^x^=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written, concise and helpful, I shall put this in my useful links cat (that I shall make!)

    Lorrie aka illusio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful information, I'll spend my day reading all those links :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. plenty of things to read here, bookmarked for later, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lot of really great advice there!!!!!!!!

    thank you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing all this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this mouse, there are heaps of fab tips and lots of advice here ... you are a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this awesome information Mouse! I am an Etsy newbie and I learned a lot by reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting and useful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really helpful and very well written! I bookmark it too. n_n Thank you so much for sharing!
    Will be visiting more. See you soon. n_n

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like a lot to read! thanks for a really informative and useful post.

    :)

    juliaA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very good stuff, all at one place. One day i'll get through with a good photo

    Thank You for sharing !
    bindu
    http://royalprincess.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for these useful ideas. I hope to put them into use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing and the gift of your expertise! Happy New Year!
    Nathalie
    Dolce Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank You very Much for all the good tips! I must read and learn and put into practice more and more and more...!!
    Happy Boxing Day!
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank You!!! These are very helpful "Pearls of Wisdom." Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was helpful thanks house of mouse! I think we chatted back and forth in the forums a few weeks ago.
    Happy New Year and best wishes with your business.

    Madelyne
    www.vintagespirit.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anna, you always go out of your way to help and it's always GREAT advice. Thanks again!

    Emma

    http://www.neverever.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is great information. Thanks so much. Really helpful. glad I've found your blog and store too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow-- I've seen and heard some great tips but this post was wonderful in that it combined so many ideas neatly and with lots of detailed, viable links.

    Thank you so much for compiling this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing! Your tips are great and I can't wait to put them to use.

    http://www.kikibirdcrafts.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really awesome compilation of tips. Thank you for putting in the time to create this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is great information. I read everything I can about being a newbie. I love the idea of constantly making changes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Mouse for all of your wonderful info. now I have more time to focus in on really get my shop out there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for all of the great and much needed info. Mouse

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks for those comments i'm new to etsy and will try to make it work
    any feedbacks are welcome !

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/seeyoulater

    ReplyDelete
  29. thanks for this! just what I needed to read!
    i have just opened my etsy store, so i need all
    the advice i can get...

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Coocachoo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Same here, need all the advice I can get. Just opened my shop in January (2011). This post is so comprehensive and useful! Thanks-a-million!

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LesasPlunderPlace

    ReplyDelete
  31. such great information! pictures are really so important!

    http://junkfind.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so very helpful. Thank you for posting!!


    http://www.etsy.com/shop/SaraMarieCreations

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks for the advices
    i'll try to make this work, i'm new to easy
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/jinny888

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very helpful! Good tips.

    Another tip to etsy sellers... if your images are off color, blurry, or too dark, there are inexpensive ways to get help for your listings like https://www.etsy.com/listing/107732819/get-more-sales-listing-image

    Etsy sellers like this provide services to help other sellers improve listings and sales

    ReplyDelete
  35. There are also image suppliers that sell high quality printable images to use in your etsy creations. If you’re looking for inspiration or a new source of material, some of these images aren’t very expensive, like www.etsy.com/shop/VintageRetroAntique

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome advise.
    My hubby is a photographer so I think I've overcome that.
    I'm in teams and promoting like heck.
    I used to have a totally different shop on etsy but got tired of only making sales that weren't sales on the old promo forums via games like buying chains. I picked up new habbies /crafts and decided I wanted to try etsy again. So here I am ...
    HTTP://WWW.etsy.com/snjvegas

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts