Home..........About..........Online Shop..........Etsy Shop..........Folksy Shop..........Newsletter....

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Artist Interview - Petit Plat

I have always had an admiration for anyone who can produce miniatures with realistic detail. The skill involved in working so small is just amazing. This weeks Featured Artist has this skill in abundance! I am blown away by the detail in her tiny creations! I hope you will enjoy her interview and marvel at her tasty art.

Berries in Pink on Cupcake - Silver Sterling Earrings

Tell us a little bit about yourself
I’m Stéphanie and I live near Paris. I’m a happy mix of origins going from Russian to Polish, through German and French, but my nationality (the one on my passport) is French.

Other than creating art, what else do you do?
I’m still studying architecture, if everything goes fine, I’ll finish in a bit less than 2 months. I don’t intend working as an architect right now, though.

Have you always been an artist?
I see myself more as a sort of artisan. But since I remember I always crafted a lot, drawing, painting, knitting, …

Actually I wanted to become a painting artist when I was little :)

Tell us a bit about your creative process
I work in ‘our’ bedroom/room/living-room on two tables, which don’t have the same height. The higher one is good when I work on miniatures so I can sit straight. The other ‘normal’ height’ table is both for architecture and miniatures. Miniatures are always lying a bit everywhere, because I mostly don’t know right away how to arrange them.

I don’t have a weakly planning on when I miniaturize. I just do when I feel down or have time.

Selection of Breads on Bakers Tray - 1/12 miniature

How did you learn to create such detailed work? Are you self taught?
Yup. Self taught. But my friend google helped me a lot in my research of the best miniature work so I had a lot to look at in order to make my owns.

After this first google phase I bought the book Making Miniature Food from Angie Scarr. It’s a very well known book among miniaturists. I also got her second book which was published in April.

Are there any foods you particularly enjoy making?
I used to love making doughnuts, but that vanished. Now I would say breads and fruit tarts. Fruit tarts are a life time favourite I guess :)

I also really enjoy making “preparation boards” and gingerbread houses!

Ok chocolate is great as well!

Which of your creations is your favourite?
It really has to be this one


I really do love that salmon board and I’m still thrilled that my first attempt at making salmon turned out that great!

Where can we find you online?
Gee! I’m just everywhere, it’s hard for me to keep up!

So I sell on these sites:
PetitPlat.etsy.com
PetitPlat.artfire.com
PetitPlat.dawanda.com
cdhm.org/user/petitplat

And you can see my work on:
PetitPlat.110mb.com
flickr.com/photos/_sk
PetitPlatBySK.blogspot.com

Chocolate Orange Supreme - 1/12 miniature

If you would like to be considered for Featured Artist, please leave a comment under this post and tell me which Stéphanie's creations of you love the most! (you can pick more than one, I know it is hard to choose)

20 comments:

  1. Wowee! As someone who works in a bakery, this artwork looks fantastic to me. Very impressive.
    I'm an artist as well but I don't think I would have the patience or delicate skill for this. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petit's work spans such a wide breadth, I cannot begin to know the mysteries of her process--it's astonishing! I love the bread--she has it and everything down to perfection, but fresh baked bread...yummy--it perfumes the air!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this is wonderful to know more about Petit! She's a miracle worker if you ask me .. I just don't get how you can make something this small and have it looking so lifelike! Her breads are yummy .. i mean, goodness, you can even see the 'flour' still on the crusts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The salmon board is just amazing!! Her work really is so life-like!

    I would love to be considered for a future feature - now, off to see what cute critters you've come up with lately! (I still love my stormtrooper mouse!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only say; What an amazing artist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe each and every time I see anything she makes!
    ~Emily xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big fan of her work for some time now and still - she always again surprises me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just can't choose any of her creations, all of them are really yummie, she keeps amazing me with her miniature work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, amazing stuff. I can almost smell that bread baking. And the tiny shrimps are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also feel hungry when I see her work :) Love her fruit tarts! Lovely interview!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's really amazing work ! I am wearing my salmon earrings with pride !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - her work is incredible! i don't think I could ever pick a favorite :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those little loaves are insane! I can't imagine working on something that small, but it looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot to ask; what are they made of? Polymer clay?

    ReplyDelete
  15. 21 - Yes they are made from polymer clay! amazing huh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stephanie, you rule! I love your stuff! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never seen miniatures that were so life-like! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's salmon is my favourite too! The earrings one especially:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing! Thank both of you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so amazing! My jaw is still on the ground with the amazing detail that's in her work! My favorite is probably the salmon board - I love that even the little white swirls are still there! :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts